Round 1 of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2022 is underway in Australia. Eight teams are in action in this round, divided into two groups of four each.
The likes of Sri Lanka, Netherlands, Namibia and UAE are in Group A, while West Indies, Zimbabwe, Ireland and Scotland are in Group B.
On Thursday, all matches of Group A came to an end, where Sri Lanka topped the points table while Netherlands finished second and both sides are through to the Super 12s.
Sri Lanka will join Australia, England, New Zealand and Afghanistan in Group 1 of the Super 12. Similarly, the Dutch side will be alongside India, Bangladesh, Pakistan and South Africa in Group 2 of Super 12.
When it comes to Group B, the qualification scenario is quite simple. Two matches are left to be played in this group, and the team that wins the game will progress to Super 12. Scotland will face Zimbabwe, while West Indies will take on Ireland in the virtual eliminator contests.
Keeping in mind that the rain can be a spoiler, here are the qualification scenarios of Group B:
- West Indies vs Ireland, Match 11: The winner of this game will qualify for the Super 12s
- Scotland vs Zimbabwe, Match 12: The Winner of this game will qualify for the Super 12s
- In case West Indies vs Ireland gets abandoned, but Scotland vs Zimbabwe produces a winner: The winner of SCO vs ZIM will qualify, and West Indies will go through
- In case Scotland vs Zimbabwe gets abandoned, but West Indies vs Ireland produces a winner: The Winner of WI vs IRE will qualify, and Scotland will go through
- In case both matches are abandoned: Scotland and Zimbabwe will qualify for the Super 12 stage
Originally posted 2022-10-21 15:35:13.